Many alumni prefer to give appreciated securities directly to MIT rather than sell them and donate their proceeds, as this allows for certain tax benefits and can help diversify your assets. If you own securities that have lost value, you can sell the stock, take the capital loss deduction, and make a gift to MIT.

Whether your stocks are held by yourself or are kept with a bank/broker, it is important that you notify MIT in advance of making a gift of securities. This will help to ensure that proper crediting and timely acknowledgement take place.

If the stock certificate(s) is/are held by a bank or broker

Please fill out the notification of stock gift form. After completing, please share these instructions with your bank/broker to initiate the transfer.

If you prefer not to use this form, either you or your broker may contact MIT’s Office of the Recording Secretary, at 617.253.5048 or, to report what is being given and receive instructions on how to complete the transfer of shares.

If you have any other questions, please contact MIT’s Office of the Recording Secretary:

MIT Recording Secretary’s Office
600 Memorial Drive, W98-300
Cambridge, MA 02139

If you hold the stock certificate(s) yourself

Mail it/them (unsigned) and a completed stock power form* in separate envelopes, but on the same day, to:

MIT Recording Secretary's Office
600 Memorial Drive, W98-300
Cambridge, MA 02139

We recommend that you send the stock certificate(s) by certified mail. Please also include a completed contribution form, or a note indicating where to direct the gift, in one of the envelopes.

* If the stock is registered in more than one name, each person must sign the stock power form. Stock power forms are available at most banks or may be printed from this site. You must use a separate stock power form for each individual stock.

Closely held stock

Don’t believe the conventional wisdom: you can make a charitable gift of closely held shares of stock in your own company, and receive the same tax benefits as if those shares had been publicly traded.

You must secure a qualified appraisal of stock in order to receive this deduction. MIT can sell the shares back to the company, either for a lump sum or a promissory note, on the condition that there has been no prearrangement with the company.

Questions about closely held stock gifts can be directed to:

MIT Office of the Recording Secretary

For reference, MIT’s taxpayer ID number is 04-2103594.