You can make a gift to MIT in memory of someone special by giving to an existing fund (donors using our secure online gift form will be prompted for memorial gift information), or by establishing a named fund for a particular purpose.
Add to an Existing Fund
- Unrestricted - these gifts will be gratefully used by the Institute to help it meet the current general needs of the Institute.
- MIT Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship Fund - these gifts will provide scholarship support for deserving MIT students with financial need.
- Designated Gifts - if you are interested in directing a gift to a different designation for individual memorial gifts —for example, a specific department or an existing MIT program or fund — we are happy to assist you.
Establish a Named Memorial Fund
A named fund can be a wonderful way to commemorate a person’s memory. Dollar thresholds for establishing named funds vary depending upon the type of fund (expendable or endowed) you wish to create:
- Expendable named memorial funds generally require gifts or pledges totaling $25,000 or more, but may require additional funds for certain purposes.
- Endowed named memorial funds generally require gifts or pledges starting at $100,000, but may require additional funds for certain purposes.
Dollar amounts referenced above can be commitments made for up to five years through gifts and pledges. For further information about establishing a named fund, please contact Bonny Kellermann at 617.253.9722 or email@example.com.
Should you wish to include information in an obituary to direct memorial gifts to MIT, we offer the following sample wording:
In lieu of flowers, gifts may be made to MIT, in memory of [individual’s name].
Checks may be made payable to MIT and mailed to:
Memorial Gifts Office
600 Memorial Drive, W98-500, Cambridge, MA 02139
Notice to family members
MIT will report the names and addresses of memorial donors to a designated family member, should the family wish to send acknowledgements.
Upon receipt of any gift (including memorial gifts), MIT sends the donor a tax receipt letter.
Past In Memoriam Gifts
View a list of individuals commemorated with a gift to MIT during fiscal year 2019 (July 1, 2018, through June 30, 2019).
View lists of those who were memorialized in recent years.
Have memorial gift questions or need further information? Please contact:
Memorial Gifts Office
Recognize a personal milestone—a birthday, anniversary, graduation, or retirement—with a gift to MIT in honor of someone special. Like memorial gifts, honorary or celebratory gifts can be made to an existing MIT fund (donors using the Institute's secure online gift form will be prompted for honorary gift information), or by establishing a named fund for a specific purpose.
Dollar thresholds for establishing named honorary funds vary depending upon the type of fund (expendable or endowed) created:
- Expendable named honorary funds generally require gifts or pledges totaling $25,000 or more, but may require additional funds for certain purposes.
- Endowed named honorary funds generally require gifts or pledges totaling $100,000 or more, but may require additional funds for certain purposes.
Notice to honorees.
Honorees will be notified of the names and addresses of individuals who make a gift in their honor.
For more honorary gift information, please contact:
Director of Special Constituencies