School of Architecture and Planning (SA+P)
The MIT School of Architecture + Planning is comprised of five main divisions:
- The Department of Architecture was the first such department in the nation (1865) and became a leader in introducing Modernism to America;
- The Department of Urban Studies and Planning began in 1932 as the nation’s second program in city planning and is now the longest continuous planning program in the U.S., repeatedly ranked #1 in the nation;
- The Media Lab, the birthplace of multimedia computing (1985), has come to be known around the world as a world-class incubator of new design ideas;
- The Center for Real Estate established the nation’s first one-year graduate program in real estate development (1984), becoming recognized worldwide as a leader in the field;
- The MIT Program in Art, Culture, and Technology - ACT - (2009), operates as a critical studies and production based laboratory, connecting the arts with an advanced technological community.
The unifying theme of all our activities is design. Through the design of physical spaces, and through the design of policies and technologies that shape how those spaces are used, we aim to sustain and enhance the quality of the human environment at all scales, from the personal to the global.
Through the work of our students, faculty, and alumni, our School has had an enormous influence on the shape of communities around the world; our mission now is to build on that legacy by strengthening new and existing collaborations across the School and across the Institute.
To do this, we must invest in our core resourcesour people, our learning environment, our curriculum, and our academic and research units. A gift of unrestricted support to the Dean’s Innovation Fund supports all four through such opportunities as:
- graduate fellowships
- endowed professorships
- bricks and mortar: new space and renovation
- curriculum development
- travel opportunities
- equipment renewal
- visiting artists and lecturers
- studios and practica.
[ back to top ]
Specific opportunities for making a difference
We welcome gifts of any amount to the MIT School of Architecture + Planning, and suggest you consider directing your contribution to one or more of the funds listed below:
|Dean's Innovation Fund||Add to my gift form|
|Department of Architecture Discretionary Fund||Add to my gift form|
|DUSP Graduate Student Fellowship and Activities Fund||Add to my gift form|
|DUSP Graduate Student Fellowships and Activities Fund||Add to my gift form|
|Media Laboratory Discretionary Fund||Add to my gift form|
|New Visions Fund||Add to my gift form|
If you wish to speak to someone about a special gift in support of the School of Architecture + Planning, please contact:
Assistant Dean for Development, School of Architecture + Planning
[ back to top ]